Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sidelined.....

You know how you can tell when you have become a runner????

When you decide to risk it all no matter how bad it feels, just to get a run in.

Thanksgiving Day....my dad and I hosted our own little turkey trot..I didn't feel 100% but I gave it my best and did pretty well, I coughed the rest of the day! by Saturday I was feeling wiped out with all out cold symptoms and a terrible cough.

On Sunday I had six miles to complete, I made it two and walked home, I could not get a full breath without a cough that would make a smoker blush...and my whole body hurt

I rested and waited, the aches went away, and the sore throat also seemed to come and go pretty quickly, the cough the nagging old man, I have been smoking 10 packs a day since I was 4 cough......

Thursday I needed a run I was craving it and for the most part feeling better, so with the 100lb double stroller, two babies and the freezing cold I hit the rail trail for 3 miles.... Mile 1 13:35....and I can't breathe...what the hell????? Mile 2- 12:22 and I feel like I am gonna die....mile three was un timed because I had stopped my garmin and walked trying desperately to fill my lungs....my run was sucktastic and I figured it had more to do with the stroller than anything.

Yesterday morning I woke up and begin my hacking and wheezing and coughed up (Sorry if it's TMI) green and yellow....I threw in the towel and headed for the doctor!

12 mins after he begin listening to me I was having a chest x-ray...
5 mins later he told me I have Pneumonia!!!1 #$%^&*&^% WHAT??????

I have never had this before....his response "yeah well it kills people so you should probably take it easy and rest, rest, rest" uhhhh have you met me before that's not really an option with three kids, a dog and a variety of other excuses!!

his response "so you need a few days in the hospital for adequate rest??" uhh no thanks I will rest! When can I run???? his response "when you finish the anti biotic and your lungs are clear" WHAT!!!

Dude I am seriously having minor arrhythmia now...it's Saturday night tomorrow is long run day and I will be crying in my cereal when the rest of the crew takes off because I have to REST!! No physical exertion for 5 days!! and then we will re-evaluate...I really wanted to tell this guy to bite me....but I really did not want to go to the hospital!

Have you ever been sidelined?? How did you get three the crazy I can't do anything feelings???

2 comments:

  1. That stinks! But trust me, five days really is nothing (this from someone who missed most of this year due to injury). And you DO need the rest, so make sure to take it! I've learned over the years that whenever a cold starts to go into my lungs I just stop for a few days...keeps bronchitis (and pneumonia!) at bay. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Major suckage! Just remember, that there will be a long run next week or even (*gasp*), the week after. You need to be 100%, or your run will suck. And who wants a sucky run?

    ReplyDelete